Introduction

Hello Everyone,

I've been visiting the site for about a month now and decided to join as an aspiring Quant Finance Analyst. I'm currently enrolled back in school to strengthen my math background and these are the list of courses I'm currently enrolled or will be enrolled in before applying to a MFE/MFM program: Calc I & Calc II (got a C when first taken a decade ago, need B or better), Linear Alg & Diff Eq, Multivariable Calc, and a formal C++ course. I've worked in various finance roles from alt a/subprime mortgage portfolio analysis to FP&A over the past 8 years and currently. Out of convience, I plan on attending the MFM program at the University of Minnesota, which has a good econ and math program but the MFM program is fairly new (Sept 2007). Is there any downside for attending such a new program? Also, is there anyone in this network that's a graduate from it?

Out of convience, I plan on attending the MFM program at the University of Minnesota, which has a good econ and math program but the MFM program is fairly new (Sept 2007). Is there any downside for attending such a new program? Also, is there anyone in this network that's a graduate from it?

Well, since no-one else has condescended to reply. New programs have been sprouting like mushrooms over the last so many years. A few are good, many are not. The U of M's program is in the latter category. There are so many things wrong with it: lack of proximity to a financial hub, poor teaching staff (mostly adjuncts), a shoestring budget, an inexperienced and indifferent director who has no understanding of quant finance or the job market, insufficient quant math in the courses, ... The old adage comes to mind: "Not cheap at any price."

You would do better to apply to one of the top programs (Baruch, CMU, Haas, Princeton) and if that's not feasible, try Paul Wilmott's CQF.

Thank you for responding and providing me feedback on the program and options. I have given consideration to the CQF (convenient) and also to the Haas program once I've brushed up on my math and a formal programming course.

Thanks again!

The program at University of Minnesota is new and from other posts doesn't sound great, but if you have don't have the option to leave MN and you want to get a job in MN afterward then you aren't left with many options.

On the other hand, if you want a job say on Wall Street then take more math courses, etc and apply to some top programs.

Back