Investments 9th edition - Good for Studying Derivatives and Portfolio Theory?

Background: I'm reading Investments 9th edition (Bodie, Kane, and Marcus) and have just finished Part I (Introduction). I like the content of Investments overall, but some of the book's explanations are unclear, wordy, and/or stuffed with jargon. I've had to cross-check definitions on multiple occasions.

Question: Is Investments a good textbook for studying derivatives and portfolio theory? The book's portfolio and derivatives sections seem very comprehensive. I'm just worried that their explanations will be difficult to understand. What textbooks would you suggest if you don't recommend Investments?

Thanks in advance.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've liked Bodie, Kane, and Marcus whenever I've dipped into it. It's very introductory however, so I wouldn't call it comprehensive. If it's difficult reading for you, you aren't going to find Hull any easier. Hull is less wordy, so you might find it a quicker read though, if you're a very mathematically-minded person. But the emphases of the books are different, so it's not really fair to compare them.

I've liked Bodie, Kane, and Marcus whenever I've dipped into it. It's very introductory however, so I wouldn't call it comprehensive. If it's difficult reading for you, you aren't going to find Hull any easier. Hull is less wordy, so you might find it a quicker read though, if you're a very mathematically-minded person. But the emphases of the books are different, so it's not really fair to compare them.

Well, I don't consider Investments to be "difficult reading" per say. I just think that some of its explanations are poorly written. I'd prefer more mathematical explanations (whenever possible) and a few more examples within the text. If it matters, I consider myself very mathematically-minded. I really enjoy math and statistics.

Back