Is it possible to switch from Columbia MAFN to MFE or vice-versa

• Thread starter Thread starter tlrdx
  • Start date Start date
I was deferred from the MFE program to the stats program at Columbia but would really like to stick to quantitative finance instead of just statistics. I'm looking for more application and less theory during grad school since I already got a good deal of that undergrad(Math major with coding experience). I read that you can switch programs but that requires the dean's approval. Is it feasible to switch to either MAFN or MFE or CS from Stats after some time and how can it be done?

Last edited:
MFE and MSOR are in the engineering school, MAFN and Stats are in GSAS, and they're completely different schools... How did you get deferred from MFE to Stats? Do you mean you got deferred from MAFN to Stats?

Either way, I agree with IntoDarkness... the programs are all so short that I don't know how you think the timing would work.

Columbia does a lot of "deferring". When applicants to Columbia MFE program do not get admitted, instead of a direct rejection, some of them will be recommended for admission to MSOR program which is a sibling program in the IEOR department.
The same thing happens for applicants to the MAFN and Stats program in the Math department.
Instead of the applicants going to another MFE program somewhere else, the university hopes that the brand name is attractive enough for the applicants to consider doing something remotely related to their original plan.

So to answer the OP, you can't switch from one program to another. You have to apply like a new applicant. I doubt many people would do that since each master program is a terminal degree, it's expensive and most people will want to get out and make money quickly if they can.

So to answer the OP, you can't switch from one program to another. You have to apply like a new applicant. I doubt many people would do that since each master program is a terminal degree, it's expensive and most people will want to get out and make money quickly if they can.

You are correct that a new application must be submitted for the MFE since it is a part of SEAS but since MAFN belongs to GSAS so you don't require that based on the information given at http://gsas.columbia.edu/content/change-department .

What isn't clear to me is what is required by the dean/faculty for the approval of a change in department in the same school. I know that a detailed description of the reason for the change has to be presented. Exactly what sort of reasons are they looking for. Are they looking at anything else (grades,internships)?

Currently, my plan is to have a very light course load the first term until this matter is settled. At this point I have regrets not applying to MAFN directly instead of MFE as in it was a better fit and more likely would have not been waitlisted/deferred.

You are correct that a new application must be submitted for the MFE since it is a part of SEAS but since MAFN belongs to GSAS so you don't require that based on the information given at http://gsas.columbia.edu/content/change-department .
MFE and MAFN are usually considered having higher admission standard than the other programs in their respective dept so I doubt you can do that. But as always, there will be exceptions to the rule. You just have to make your case to the dean or whoever runs the programs there that you are exceptional.

Back