Is there anything I can/should be doing to make myself a better applicant?

• Thread starter Thread starter baz
  • Start date Start date

baz

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get some advice.

Education background--
UGPA: 3.35/4.00
GRE Q: 170
Major: Math, Economics

I decided I wanted to enter an MFE program my sophomore year of college (top 50 state school). However, for personal reasons, including my dismal performance as an undergrad, I decided to take some time to work before graduate school. I'm currently working as a research assistant for a policy research firm doing data management and regression analysis in SAS/Stata.

I'm interested primarily in the Baruch, NYU, Columbia, and Rutgers programs, but right now I'm struggling to find ways to make my application stronger. Since graduating, I became certified in Base SAS and completed the C++ certificate here on QuantNet. I also plan to start taking MSOR classes as a non degree student at Columbia this fall.

Is there anything else I could be doing to strengthen my applications? Are there any positions I might qualify for with no previous experience in the industry, perhaps at a hedge fund or other buy side firm?

Education background--
UGPA: 3.35/4.00
GRE Q: 170
Major: Math, Economics

If this is all there is to your educational background, you will be drowned out in the noise.

Back