COMPARE JHU Financial Mathematics vs Michigan Ann arbor Quantitative Finance and Risk Mangament

• Thread starter Thread starter Reyn S
  • Start date Start date
JHU Financial Mathematics vs Michigan Ann Arbor Quantitative Finance and Risk Mangament

The Michigan's program is a new program, this is really a school with nice reputation, and there are some workshops in it. According to the coordinator of this program, they would try their best to help student find opportunities, and they already have some connections with companies in finance industry, because they have a lot of students from financial major undergraduate or Actuarial program go to large companies every year.
For JHU, the good news is that I got a financial support of 15% tuition fee and for some healthy insurance. Baltimore is really a large city, and compare to michigan, maybe Baltimore also have great opportunities.

In terms of curriculum, the weakness in JHU is that they do not have too many computer programming, but a lot of finmath and statistics, finance courses. For Ann Arbor, they have some electives from engineering college like database management. But it is said that JHU have a good employment record, and they also have some workshops in this program.

What I really care is about employment, I hope that I could enter some hedge funds, private equity or investment banks to work and learn something in quantitative finance, especially in area of investment and portfolio.

I do not know which one should I choose, anyone for advice?

few jobs in the DMV area, don't think there's anything in Detroit.
that should answer your question.

The MFE @ Michigan once died and was seriously criticized for unorganized curriculum, lack of resource and connection, I really doubt what difference the new one could make.
Actually @JHU you could take a bunch of programming courses if you want, by the elective credits. But I am not optimized with the location of Baltimore, if compared with NYC and Chicago, though it is better than Ann Arbor with no doubt

The MFE @ Michigan once died and was seriously criticized for unorganized curriculum, lack of resource and connection, I really doubt what difference the new one could make.
Actually @JHU you could take a bunch of programming courses if you want, by the elective credits. But I am not optimized with the location of Baltimore, if compared with NYC and Chicago, though it is better than Ann Arbor with no doubt
Really helpful, actually I do not think I would go because I've got the offer from Oxford. It's just curiosity matters.

Really helpful, actually I do not think I would go because I've got the offer from Oxford. It's just curiosity matters.
Oxford is great.
I am wondering how is the placement from that program @Oxford.

Oxford is great.
I am wondering how is the placement from that program @Oxford.
That is the point. Actually little statistics on its website. Considering the immigration policy and conservative market in city, maybe I will get an internship after graduation. Then find a full time in HK or US

That is the point. Actually little statistics on its website. Considering the immigration policy and conservative market in city, maybe I will get an internship after graduation. Then find a full time in HK or US
Can you tell more details

and what about John Hopkins University reputation? garbage?

JHU Medical program has been #1 in US for 21 years in a ROW up to 2013 and now it's #3. That's reputation.
OK... Just my personal opinion.
What if the reputation of finance related programs in both school?
I think Umich's is better?

OK... Just my personal opinion.
What if the reputation of finance related programs in both school?
I think Umich's is better?
unless you are very familiar with both schools (and it seems you are not), your personal opinion is probably wrong.

There was an article in the latest Bloomberg Markets magazine where Steve Hanke says he has a 100% placement record for students taking his class. I can't find a link but you will find it if you check the Bloomberg Markets Magazine from May 2015.

unless you are very familiar with both schools (and it seems you are not), your personal opinion is probably wrong.

There was an article in the latest Bloomberg Markets magazine where Steve Hanke says he has a 100% placement record for students taking his class. I can't find a link but you will find it if you check the Bloomberg Markets Magazine from May 2015.
Actually
Maybe neither is good.

Steve Hanke is famous, but does the stats mean anyone who took his class gain big advantage in finding a job ? I wonder how Hanke's brand work

and what about John Hopkins University reputation? garbage?

JHU Medical program has been #1 in US for 21 years in a ROW up to 2013 and now it's #3. That's reputation.

My impression is Hopkins' rep is heavily propped up by its med school. The average person on the street even incorrectly calls it "John Hopkins". I suppose that shows reputation is a nebulous concept.

JHU Financial Mathematics vs Michigan Ann Arbor Quantitative Finance and Risk Mangament

The Michigan's program is a new program, this is really a school with nice reputation, and there are some workshops in it. According to the coordinator of this program, they would try their best to help student find opportunities, and they already have some connections with companies in finance industry, because they have a lot of students from financial major undergraduate or Actuarial program go to large companies every year.
For JHU, the good news is that I got a financial support of 15% tuition fee and for some healthy insurance. Baltimore is really a large city, and compare to michigan, maybe Baltimore also have great opportunities.

In terms of curriculum, the weakness in JHU is that they do not have too many computer programming, but a lot of finmath and statistics, finance courses. For Ann Arbor, they have some electives from engineering college like database management. But it is said that JHU have a good employment record, and they also have some workshops in this program.

What I really care is about employment, I hope that I could enter some hedge funds, private equity or investment banks to work and learn something in quantitative finance, especially in area of investment and portfolio.

I do not know which one should I choose, anyone for advice?
Is Michigan offering you the chance to take electives from their Ross school of business?

Back