Job perspective of PhD in numerical stochastic from Edinburgh

• Thread starter Thread starter JZ_HK
  • Start date Start date
I just got a PhD offer with funding at Edinburgh working on numerical methods for SDEs and their financial applications. I would like to stay in academia and but I want to have a backup plan in case I don't have enough publications. From this website, it seems that the financial math master in Edinburgh is not that well-regarded. Hence I was wondering what the job perspective in financial industry is after my PhD graduation.

I am an international student who has never been to the UK, so please correct me if I am wrong. In my opinion, Edinburgh doesn't have a lot of investment banks. Hence I suspect I need to move to London if I want to get a well-paid quant job. But Edinburgh is relatively far from London, so it is not convenient to attend the interviews in London. Moreover, in terms of reputation, I think Edinburgh can not compete with Cambridge, imperial college London, UCL. I also have to compete with PhDs from France and Switzerland.

Hence may you give me more information on the job perspective in Edinburgh and London as a international PhD graduated from Edinburgh?

Btw, I also get a PhD offer from Mathematical finance group in Oxford. I understand the reputation is good, but I have to be self-funded for the next 3-4 years, which is a quite heavy burden for my families. So I am not sure which one I should take.

Back