Job Search Tips by Mark

• Thread starter Thread starter MRoss
  • Start date Start date
Hello my fellow QuantNetters,

As promised the list below (which will grow) is an aggregation of my LinkedIn posts. I post one tip a week. Would love to hear feedback from the QN community.

1. Include a hobby section on the bottom of your resume
Mark Ross on LinkedIn: “Job Search T&T #1 Definitely…

2. Do not reach out to someone on LinkedIn like this:
Mark Ross on LinkedIn: “Job Search Tips & Tricks…

3. Join Toastmasters.

4. Create a Professional Gmail Address

5. Say “Good Morning [FIRST NAME]” to EVERYONE you encounter

5b (video). Good Morning Part II
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6367195967933992960/

6. Practice your handshake and making eye contact
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6368980725097656320/

Hope these help!

Mark

5. !

Sample Excludes: Anything family related (e.g. My two beautiful children), Video Games, Bird-Watching, Coin-Collecting, Computer Technician, R Programming

What's wrong with ornithology?

BTW here is EU saying you are a family man is not an exclude. It's nice to see your kids once in a while..

Last edited:
5. !

Sample Excludes: Anything family related (e.g. My two beautiful children), Video Games, Bird-Watching, Coin-Collecting, Computer Technician, R Programming

What's wrong with ornithology?

BTW here is EU saying you are a family man is not an exclude. It's nice to see your kids once in a while..

It's fine to be into bird-watching but if that's one of a candidates most exciting hobbies, I doubt it would excite any of the interviewers. In any event; if it's something a candidate is very passionate about I suppose it's OK?

RE: Family
I have four children - I live for my family. Still, if I was hiring I would rather someone with no children. Of course I can't say (or even imply) this at any point but the thoughts "this guy will likely take 'my kid is sick' days off", need to leave early for PTA, etc. will always cross my mind.

I'm not saying it's appropriate, but this is always a small factor a hiring manager will be weary of. It's not about what is bad, it's about "what can I put on my resume that would make me MORE ATTRACTIVE to this team"? Family definitely doesn't add value here.

Last edited:
Hobbies are not chosen to excite interviewers :D You do them to excite you. It's what you do in your time.

Hobbies are not chosen to excite interviewers :D You do them to excite you. It's what you do in your time.
Yes of course.

Everyone on LinkedIn always gets emotional and all caught up about "what is right". Sadly, "what is right" almost always is not the best path to landing a good job.

If your hobby is training pit bulls to steal balloons from children in amusement parks; probably best not to put this on your resume. There are quite a few hobbies that I have which I consciously leave off my resume because they will make me appear erratic. I love them but they won't benefit my job search at all.

Mark, What are your thoughts on wearing one's wedding ring to analyst interviews?
Good question.

I think the key word here is analyst. It really depends what sort of team you are interviewing with. Risk/Risk IT/IT/Support etc. it is 100% OK, maybe even a good thing (shows stability and loyalty).

However. If you are interviewing for an equity research or investment banking role that avg well over 13 hour workdays, I could easily hear the argument against wearing it. At the analyst level in these role you are expected to sacrifice 2-3 years of your life to the department before becoming anything more than a "monkey" (see Monkey Business). Being involved in a serious relationship means your aren't 100% committed. When they need late nights and weekends they know you'll have an excuse every time.

What about lion-taming?

8dfe9073addbdf7d6ca4267a1d3e50bf--monty-python-awesome-things.jpg

Back