Local versus Stochastic Vol

• Thread starter Thread starter gver
  • Start date Start date
Hi .. cld anyone help me with the intuitive difference between the two vols .. I mean I read stochastics is where the vol itself is considered to be a stoch process and in local it depends on S and T .. but I am not able to get an intuitive hang of the two .. and consequently how one is better than other while pricing certain products that account fwd skew etc ..

Thanks for the prompt reply Daniel. I googled abt the book and it seems a lot of PDE and stuff .. as of now I am looking for an intuitive explanation rather than a rigourous mathematical treatment .. my interest is more from a pricing and hedging equity derivatives and hybrids perspective and hence want to gain an insight into the practical applicability..

You're welcome.
Paul Wilmott's book Vol 3 is a good overview without all that heavy PDE machinery.

have you looked at nuclearphynance.com?

//
On the other hand it seems as if PDE is used a lot for this.

Last edited:
Yes I gave a cursory look to some answers in np but mostly the same tech definitions ..

Was optimistic abt a prompt response over here so posted it ;)

stochastic vol models generate the same smile independent of the initial level of spot: a sticky delta model. the smiles generated by local vol models are dependent on the initial level of spot: a sticky strike model.

neither of these models on their own reflect what occurs in FX markets. a mixture of the two is better.

Back