Low GRE Verbal score, how can I do?

Hello everyone, I sincerely request your advice for my application.

My problem is my low GRE score. I have just got my GRE scores: Verbal: 146, Quant: 170, AWA: 4.5.

My background: GPA: 3.9, ranked top 2/97, undergraduate double major in Electronic Commerce and Quantitative Finance from a Chinese university. I have taken many CS, Math, Stats and Finance courses. No full-time experience, three internships at a Commercial Bank, an IT Co,. and IBD of a Securities Co,. I am a research assistant of a professor; we have engaged with some empirical research in volatility forecasting and hedge funds performance analyzing. Additionally, I got many scholarships, such as National Scholarship, as well as many prizes, like Meritorious Winner in the American Mathematics Contest in Modeling.

I am wondering whether I should submit my application first, then prepare for next GRE test? The problem is that the latest GRE test I can take is in March. So if I submit my application now, I am afraid of getting rejection before re-taking GRE. But if I apply in March when I get a higher score, I think it will be too late; perhaps many programs are full filled.

I am planning to apply UCLA MFE, NYU-poly, Columbia MAFN and Berkeley MFE, which have later app deadlines. As for Berkeley, I am taking the pre-program courses and have exchange experience there, I wish to contact more with them and apply later in April.

Overall, can anybody give me some suggestions? Am I qualified to apply above programs? Should I submit my application first and tell them I will take GRE again?

Thanks,
Sincerely.

Last edited:
Check https://www.quantnet.com/tracker/ (you can filter by programs & results) and see how your GRE compares to that of admitted students. It looks like the average for UCLA/Columbia MAFN/UCB is in the high 150's and the average for NYU Poly is around 150. So a 145 is probably on the lower end.

Check https://www.quantnet.com/tracker/ (you can filter by programs & results) and see how your GRE compares to that of admitted students. It looks like the average for UCLA/Columbia MAFN/UCB is in the high 150's and the average for NYU Poly is around 150. So a 145 is probably on the lower end.

Thanks very much! I see that.

The deadline for NYU-poly is February 15, I can try this first.

As for UCLA, UCB and Columbia, which have later deadlines, I can apply after retaking GRE in March. Do you think whether I should apply later after getting a higher score?

Thanks very much! I see that.

The deadline for NYU-poly is February 15, I can try this first.

As for UCLA, UCB and Columbia, which have later deadlines, I can apply after retaking GRE in March. Do you think whether I should apply later after getting a higher score?

I think you should. Your profile looks decent, but at the end of the day, if you want to study and even work in the U.S., what really matters will be your speaking, writing and reading capacities in English.

Back