LSE Financial Maths & Stats vs LSE Maths &/With Econ UG

Links can be found on website.

Wanted to ask whether these degrees would be enough to land HF positions out of UG or would I still have to complete a masters at a more reputable target for maths (i.e. imperial or Cambridge). Out of those courses, which one would be most recommended?

Given that LSE is right in the heart of London and is considered Tier-1 university in the UK, I think you should go for it over Cambridge. LSE can be a bit theoretical and research focused, based on my experience, so that's why I'm giving FinMath a preference over just Maths. Of course this is based on your career goal to work in the industry.

If you are an international student, then you should prefer the USA, for the following reasons:
- programs are better in the US, the best of the best students from their countries come to study here (just see the pre-requisites of the US MFE courses, you'll understand)
- with the new talent VISA program you'll be eligible for UK VISA as well, if you go to the US universities that are mentioned in their list (for ex: Columbia, NYU, UCB, UChicago etc..)
- the courses are longer in the US (more time to study)
- there is a mandatory internship/industry project in most of them
(You'll need to confirm the second point with the HRs in the UK though)

If you are a UK national, then consider yourself working in a HFT, just make sure you survive the competition among the UK citizens (not too difficult!).

Before enrolling in any course, you have to do a lot of research and also talk to the alumni, to get a better picture of not only the program but also the career outcomes.
Good luck!

Last edited:
One more thing, from the top, I cannot find any C++ related courses in the curriculum, you can check here
MSc in Financial Mathematics.

Given that many Strats and SDEs are being hired directly from India, I think there is huge demand for people who can code in the UK.
Without C++, I don't think it is possible to get into a HFT, maybe consult with someone working in HFT/algo trading domain in the UK before applying to LSE FinMath.

Nor can I find any High frequency finance related courses
For example check the 4th elective here: Electives | Master of Financial Engineering | Berkeley Haas

Last edited:
Back