M.Sc. Statistics Warwick vs. LSE

Hey guys,

so I've got offers from both LSE and Warwick to study for an M.Sc. in Statistics. However, I really can't decide. Warwick seems to be the stronger uni for stats. However, an LSE degree might be more prestigious in the long run, especially outside of the UK.

I am especially interested in doing a Ph.D. in either Statistics or Machine Learning after university.

Any advice?

Seems logical to me if you are going for a PhD, then you should go for the strongest academically wise. Research groups you will apply to after the MSc do care less about superficial reputation (again, just conjecture).

Academically speaking, both LSE and Warwick are top notch.
if you are also interested in doing internships, working with industrial researchers etc...
you should prioritize London.

Seems logical to me if you are going for a PhD, then you should go for the strongest academically wise. Research groups you will apply to after the MSc do care less about superficial reputation (again, just conjecture).
This is what I am thinking, but also if you are good, you can usually stay on to do a PhD at the uni you do your masters at (or, at least it will be far easier as you already know potential supervisors, etc. so it is more of a formality).

But, then again, Warwick has got OxWasp.

This maybe is too late now.

Warwick has a very strong maths-related, highly quantitative programs, including statistics, economics and finance. There's a very strong support group coming from and within the department to ensure the success of their students. The personalized attention given to the students is astounding.
That said, LSE has got a slightly better overall brand name recognition and prestige. This is like a comparison between Columbia (which is quite well-known and is in NY, a metropolitan and financial hub) and Dartmouth College. Both are fantastic schools, but one is significantly more well-known than the other.
Personally, I'd go with Warwick.

in the long run, we all die. so who gives a shit if you went to LSE or Warwick? there is something very wrong with this type of thinking

If you do a PhD then it doesn’t matter where you did your masters degree. So go to the uni that will more likely get you into the PhD program you want the most.

Back