MAFN@Columbia or MS Stats@UW-Seattle

Recently got offers from MAFN@Columbia U and Stats@UW-Seattle.
I am really having a hard time making decision. I hope someone would come to help me out.
UW surly has a brand name in so far as academic statistics is concerned(ranked 3rd I guess). The MS program is fairly small(only 15 people!) which means that I would have superb access to the world renowned professors. And Seattle is a good place where Microsoft, Amazon are located... Statistics seems a good major and is flexible... I guess the MS Statistics program at UW is a good choice.

The thing is, I not only want to work in US, but also want to work in the financial industry... (But I would accept any kind of job in US if no better solution) And I want to work as a quant in NYC.
I know my dream seems rediculous... but that is what I have in mind.

What about Columbia?
From the limited info, I guess MAFN@Columbia has a bad placement record for international students. The majority of them returned to their home countries right after they graduated.. Some even don't have internship experiences. I surly don't want to be one of them.. even though they earn a good salary in Asia thanks to the ivy name. My goal is just to stay in America.
Does anyone know about the MAFN program at Columbia U? How likely is an international student getting an offer from a small trading firm or hedge fund in NYC?

How likely is an international student in MAFN program getting a full-time offer from an American company? If the statistics is pessimistic, there's no need to argue about individuals, because anyone could say like this,'If you try hard, you may have a job offer no matter which school or program you are in.'

Hmmm... I don't know where your getting your information from but a lot of the international MAFN students get internships and full time offers. I know someone in the program right now and she's getting tons of interviews from top banks etc. The opportunity exists. But after you get the interview it's really all up to the individual. The career services at MAFN truly isn't that good in the sense that there is no hand-holding. You do most of the networking yourself. Perhaps your perception of international students not getting full time offers is because you think they don't network as much?

Your logic is flawed. You are missing the point. Trying hard does not result in getting a job. If I "try hard" to beat Usain Bolt in a sprint I will still lose. You have to work hard, but working hard is not sufficient in getting a job but should be necessary.

Hmmm... I don't know where your getting your information from but a lot of the international MAFN students get internships and full time offers. I know someone in the program right now and she's getting tons of interviews from top banks etc. The opportunity exists. But after you get the interview it's really all up to the individual. The career services at MAFN truly isn't that good in the sense that there is no hand-holding. You do most of the networking yourself. Perhaps your perception of international students not getting full time offers is because you think they don't network as much?

Your logic is flawed. You are missing the point. Trying hard does not result in getting a job. If I "try hard" to beat Usain Bolt in a sprint I will still lose. You have to work hard, but working hard is not sufficient in getting a job but should be necessary.
Thank you so much for your reply... Your words are really helpful to my decision making. It is a refreshing news to me that hopeully someone in the program right now has tons of interview opportunities, which means a lot to me. The case you mentioned indicates that the reputation of the MAFN program is not bad and students can at least get interview opportunites. This is very important because it implies that individuals could get internships or even full time offers by their personal hardworking beside what the program has to offer. In my opinion, a program should not be criticized too much if its brand has earned enough interviews for the students because just like what you said, it is up to the individuals after getting the interviews.
If your info is true, I will go to CU. And I am going to practice my programming skills and learn more about finance in this summer, to make up my weakness and prepare me better for the program and for becoming a professional as a quant. (As I know, the MAFN program lack programming courses which are significant for job-hunting.) If I make myself really qualified for a quant job by the next summer, I believe I would get internship offers or even full-time offers at that time.
Btw, what nationality is that guy you mentioned?

Last edited:
Back