MATH COURSE ADVICE NEEDED

• Thread starter Thread starter blank
  • Start date Start date
Hi I’m currently a year 1 (technically year 2 this year) student studying economics and after 1 year of Econs and finance mods, I have come to the realisation that it’s not gonna be mathematically enough for a good quant programme ( ex mfe Princeton, CMU mscf etc). So I would greatly appreciate if you guys could help me decide if taking these math mods would be helpful-

CALC 1,2,3
LINEAR ALGEBRA 1,2
Probability and statics ( already taken 1 semester )

This was the basic requirement for most MFE’s I came across. But I was told that these math mods are not enough and I’d have to take these -

Numerical analysis (hopefully not)
Real analysis (hopefully not)
Ordinary differential equations (should be okay)
Regression analysis (already part of course)

Additionally would you recommend taking CS mods ?

Solution
Without intermediate OOP (usually C++ or Python) coursework or a certificate you’re ineligible for all top MFEs.

Make sure your Probability class was calculus based, otherwise it may not be enough. Combined prob/stats classes can be mathematically weak when taught together, especially in an economics program.

ODE and Numerical Analysis will be more helpful ones to take.
I offer Maths courses for MFE etc.
e.g. ODE/PDE, Numerics

(Students Euro 1500 1st course, Euro 995 each course after first course).

Last edited:
Without intermediate OOP (usually C++ or Python) coursework or a certificate you’re ineligible for all top MFEs.

Make sure your Probability class was calculus based, otherwise it may not be enough. Combined prob/stats classes can be mathematically weak when taught together, especially in an economics program.

Solution
I offer Maths courses for MFE etc.
e.g. ODE/PDE, Numerics

(Students Euro 1500 1st course, Euro 995 each course after first course).

Oh that’s great but right now I’ll just stick to my university math courses thanks !

Ohh so you recommend taking a OOP class, would it be okay if I take a certification course rather than a uni class cos it might cause a Drop in my GPA.

Oh yea definitely my probs and stats was definitely very calc based (learned multivariable calculus from that mod lol) I’ll maybe take stochastic processes too cos I heard that’s a pretty prob heavy mod

Ohh so you recommend taking a OOP class, would it be okay if I take a certification course rather than a uni class cos it might cause a Drop in my GPA.

Oh yea definitely my probs and stats was definitely very calc based (learned multivariable calculus from that mod lol) I’ll maybe take stochastic processes too cos I heard that’s a pretty prob heavy mod
Probably better to take the C++ from here. Its not perfect but you learn more than you would in a uni class and the online discussions and TAs are much more useful than you would find in most schools.

Fortunately this certificate is also the only one that I know of thats universally recognized by all top MFEs

Back