Math major course recommencation

• Thread starter Thread starter gliph
  • Start date Start date
Hi all!

I recently began my math major and am looking to select the most suitable courses to prepare for a master's in mathematical and computational finance.

The core courses are: analysis 1, multivariable calculus, discrete math, linear algebra, probability, stochastic processes, introduction to statistics.

I have 7 electives to pick among Math & Stats and 3 among Computer Science. I have decided upon the following courses, and I am considering a few others that might be interesting:
Note: All course names are translated from French using ChatGPT.

Math​

- Differential equations​
- Numerical analysis​
- Partial differential equations​
(Considering: Adaptive dynamics, Random walks & random graphs, Introduction to intrinsic data structures, Introduction to mathematical modeling)

Stats​

- Sampling​
- Linear Regression​
- Concepts and Methods in Statistics​
- Theoretical Foundations in Data Science​
(Considering: Bayesian statistics, Statistical learning, Applied multivariate analysis)

Computer science​

- Programming 1​
- Introduction to numerical algorithms​
- Non linear optimization​
(Considering: Linear optimization, Programming 2)
I would love to hear your thoughts on my choices. Would you recommend replacing any of my chosen courses with ones from the considering list?​
Thanks in advance for your advice!​

I like these foundations, others also look good

- Differential equations
- Numerical analysis
- Partial differential equations

Learn to program a bit in Python and C++, for example.

Last edited:
I like these foundations, others also look good

- Differential equations
- Numerical analysis
- Partial differential equations

Learn to program a bit in Python and C++, for example.
Thank you Daniel. I have taken a software engineering Python course in the past, and have worked in R before. Will be looking to develop my skills in C++. Thank you for the advice.

Back