MFE in Singapore - query

Hi,

I have applied for (FT) Masters in QF at NUS (MQF, MFE - from RMI) and MFE at NTU - all in Singapore. The primary reason for application is that, these are the best masters programs available in Singapore (finance hub APA) for quantitative finance. Hence job prospects could be good.
I am yet to receive any formal reverts from the colleges.

I have read from an earlier thread that these programs dont have international stature and also that graduates find it difficult to land good jobs in Singapore. I have also noticed that the average GRE and GMAT scores of admitted students are rather mid tier.

Would be really appreciated if the following queries are answered.

1) What is the standing of the program in recruiters perspective in Singapore and elsewhere?
2) How good is the current faculty there (NUS and NTU - finance/econ/mathematics)
3) How good are the job prospects, for average candidates, graduating from the program?

Thanks,

Hari

I don't think the NUS MQF is worth your time at all. It reeks of a hastily pieced together program.

Of the 6 core modules, only 4 seems to be originally designed for the MQF program. 2 of the 6 are level 4 modules available for undergraduates. Of the 12 elective modules, 10 (!!) of them are ready off-the-shelf modules from other departments such as Economics, Statistics and the RMI.

Letters of recommendations and GRE/GMAT are also not required as stated on their website. Considering all these, how good do you think the quality of the class can be? How much value do you think you can get out of the program?

The NUS and NTU MFEs are more established. But consider this, one can graduate with an NUS MFE without even knowing stochastic calculus (it's an optional course), and I know someone in the NTU MFE with zero undergraduate level calculus/linear algebra and zero programming knowledge going into the course. ZERO. But he is a guaranteed placement statistic as he's already in the financial sector.

I think these programs are regional, if u want to look for job in singapore then they are fine, but outside singapore they do not have much value. Most people i talk to tell me that singapore is more like a hub for back office such as IT and operations etc Most front office quant jobs are in hongkong instead, so an mfe in singapore may land u somewhere not related to ur education such as in techonology and operations a.k.a IT department

Why not apply to University of Chicago's Singapore campus instead of NUS? They're still open for apps till May 31. You could also join their prep course which apparently helps you get in.
They share the full curriculum and some of the good professors with the main campus. The only drawback is the cost is comparable to going to the US.

Hi,

I have applied for (FT) Masters in QF at NUS (MQF, MFE - from RMI) and MFE at NTU - all in Singapore. The primary reason for application is that, these are the best masters programs available in Singapore (finance hub APA) for quantitative finance. Hence job prospects could be good.
I am yet to receive any formal reverts from the colleges.

I have read from an earlier thread that these programs dont have international stature and also that graduates find it difficult to land good jobs in Singapore. I have also noticed that the average GRE and GMAT scores of admitted students are rather mid tier.

Would be really appreciated if the following queries are answered.

1) What is the standing of the program in recruiters perspective in Singapore and elsewhere?
2) How good is the current faculty there (NUS and NTU - finance/econ/mathematics)
3) How good are the job prospects, for average candidates, graduating from the program?

Thanks,

Hari

Hi Hari,
I am also applying for MFE in SG. Good to know people also applying. I've got some information regarding 3) for NTU MFE.

Prior to this year (2013), the job placement is about 50% upon graduation and 90+% within 3 months. In terms of where do they land, it was not specified, but as someone mentioned, they can possibly land in Ops or IT. For this year, the market is quite bad. Only about 40+% placement after three months.

MQF in NUS is a joke, so don't even care about it. Regarding MFE by RMI, the placement is unknown and I've checked with the current director of the program. They don't keep track of this. As the majority of students are part-time, many may just carry on with their current work if they can't land in a "better" job. With that said, the overall feeling the director gave me was that it was not easy to find a relevant job after MFE by RMI.

For MQF in SMU, it's relatively new, so I don't know. Neither I've heard anyone studying in Chicago's Singapore campus.

Cheers,
Alan

isn't University of Chicago SG campus closing? btw many singaporeans apply to macquarie's ms in applied finance, distance-learning, if that helps to understand the local alternatives better.

I'm working in SG for last 4 years in Equites Cash Algo team for a leading european bank, most of the work is driven from Hong Kong & Tokyo. It's finance hub for Wealth Management and Risk [back office]. But offlate Hedging Firms from London have openeded offices here for reasons quite obvious. But they recruit/relocate candidates from all over the world, as getting Work Permit in SG is matter of 2 weeks & hundresd odd dollars. So FT QF still better to do Quantnet ranked colleges, for PT yes SG is worth.

Back