MFE in the US after PhD from asia

Hi all,

This is my first post here after reading many others for a long time.
I'm now close to finish my PhD degree in physics (~50 world ranking ) and seriously considering to apply MFE in the US this year.
I personally have an interest in algorithmic trading so implemented serveral strategies based on artificial neural networks or other methods from published papers.
Hopefully, I would like to get a job at hedgefunds( not only top tiers but any sized) as a quant trader or a quant analyst to do something like stat arb or whatever they do secretly seeking the alpha.
The problem is, that I'm from asia so getting the H1 Visa is the main obstacle (some might say it's my poor english :'( I completely agree.)
That is why I want to get MFE after finishing PhD nevertheless most of the subjects of them are not related to algo tradings.
Morever, i feel i can't do anything without having a chance to meet with guys already in the industry at workshops or conferences.
Is it a wrong motivation to go to MFE? Am i thinking too naively?

In brief, what would be a reasonable way to get an entry job at algo hedge fund in the US after obtaining PhD in asia?
would that be MFE or direct application to available job openings?

I would really appreciate for any adivce or any comments.
Thank you !

Back