MFE/MSCF VS MS-PhD in Statistics/CS/Finance (Background Info in thread)

Hi All,

I'm from India. I did an integrated MS in Software Engineering from VIT, India (9.34/10 gpa). My senior year project was in Machine Learning and Currency markets. Other than that I had few tech projects at College (building a version control system, a web development project for an e-tailer).

I worked at Paypal as a software developer for 2.5 years (Python, C++ and Java predominantly).

Last year, I left PayPal to explore finance and trading. Have been managing a family portfolio of INR 2 million (about $30k USD), in various instruments (spread over equity and debt) driven by a combination of fundamental and technically driven strategies. I have built a basic custom signal system infrastructure with backtesting using Python, combining fundamental and technical data for helping with the strategies (it's only ULFT).

I am planning to apply for Fall 2019 Masters programs in Quant Finance (CMU, Courant FM, Baruch MFE, UChicago MSFM, Cornell FE, . On the other hand, most recently, I am also pondering an MS in Stats converting it to a PhD once I am in the US. The reason for this is that I don't have research publications and it's hard to get a direct integrated PhD without research work.

My interest is to work in macroeconomic quant research. So far I have been researching on and preparing for a CF/FE masters only. The thought about MS-PhD in pure sciences/Finance came up only now. Any advice on this would be very helpful.

Lol. "Any advice on this would be very helpful" is probably not explicit enough, I agree. Implicit question is - "How do i approach this", but since you guys are very helpful and I did my own research, I have gotten my answers since then.

Back