MFE Profile Review

Hi, I'm looking forward to joining the MFE programs in 2025. I have been a quant trader at a local security firm in South Korea for three years and want an opportunity in the USA. I already applied to UCB MFE for spring 2025 through round 4.

Target Programs: Top 10 MFE and MS in statistics programs for fall 2025

Education: Economics(Financial Economics), a prestigious school in Korea (GPA 3.8/4.0, Major 3.9/4.0)

Relevant Coursework
: Calculus, Linear Algebra, ODE, Analysis, Statistics, Numerical Analysis, Stochastic Process, Python, C, Econometrics, Derivatives, Machine Learning for Finance, etc.

Work Experience: I have been a trader for three years, including a year as a low-latency trader via rust programming.

Test Scores: TOEFL: 94(planned to retake), GRE: V151, Q 170

I have some questions below.

1) Do I also need to retake the GRE as well?
2) Is my profile competitive enough for admission?
3) How can I improve it?

Thanks for reading my post.

When university sees any profile, they check how easily can this person get a job. The easier they think it is, the more likely you will get admitted.
You have very relevant work ex, you should be able to get into a good program.

If you want to be a quant trader at market making firms, hedge funds - then you don't need c++. The tests are mostly mental maths, probability questions and market making games.
If you want to be a quant trader/dev at hft (in many hft, they are the same role) - then you will need very good c++, I mean extremely good. I think you would know this already as you mentioned that you did this for a year. You can check out certifications or you can learn on your own - I would start with learncpp.com

When university sees any profile, they check how easily can this person get a job. The easier they think it is, the more likely you will get admitted.
You have very relevant work ex, you should be able to get into a good program.

If you want to be a quant trader at market making firms, hedge funds - then you don't need c++. The tests are mostly mental maths, probability questions and market making games.
If you want to be a quant trader/dev at hft (in many hft, they are the same role) - then you will need very good c++, I mean extremely good. I think you would know this already as you mentioned that you did this for a year. You can check out certifications or you can learn on your own - I would start with learncpp.com
Thanks a lot for your reply!

Do you think that if I want to become a QT or QR at HF or MM, then my priority be the preparation for interview after I retake a TOEFL?

Hi, I'm looking forward to joining the MFE programs in 2025. I have been a quant trader at a local security firm in South Korea for three years and want an opportunity in the USA. I already applied to UCB MFE for spring 2025 through round 4.

Target Programs: Top 10 MFE and MS in statistics programs for fall 2025

Education: Economics(Financial Economics), a prestigious school in Korea (GPA 3.8/4.0, Major 3.9/4.0)

Relevant Coursework: Calculus, Linear Algebra, ODE, Analysis, Statistics, Numerical Analysis, Stochastic Process, Python, C, Econometrics, Derivatives, Machine Learning for Finance, etc.

Work Experience: I have been a trader for three years, including a year as a low-latency trader via rust programming.

Test Scores: TOEFL: 94(planned to retake), GRE: V151, Q 170

I have some questions below.

1) Do I also need to retake the GRE as well?
2) Is my profile competitive enough for admission?
3) How can I improve it?

Thanks for reading my post.
I think you're a good candidate for the MFE program, except for the minor fact that your TOEFL scores indicate you're not that strong with English. But that I assume won't be a huge issue since you can prob get a higher score if you prep for TOEFL. So the rest depends on your recommendation letters, prestige of your undergrad (sadly), and mostly luck. If you're from KAIST, SNU, Korea Uni, or Yonsei, then I think you have decent chance.

I think you should focus on trying to apply to jobs even before starting the program. You're probably a good candidate for Quant Trading roles but not for Quant dev or Quant research roles (but this really depends on your programming skills). Also, I think you should be aware of the fact that many of the entry trader roles are populated with fresh undergrads, so your age could matter, especially since South Korean males graduate after their mid 20s.

Also note trader interview process for global prop/MM firms are quite different from that of Korean firms. Aside from from basic prob and stats, I recommend practicing mental maths and brainteasers (green book is a nice start).

Good advices above already so I just want to mention the TOEFL. Try to get 110+ on TOEFL when you retake them. It will satisfy English proficiency since you did not get a bachelor from English-speaking institution.
This is important because many quant programs do not interview personally and can't judge your English. They can only rely on your TOEFL/GRE score to guess.

Back