MFE (working in tech)

Hi,

I do not know if this has been answered or not. But how common is it for a MFE graduate to work in TECH as DATA SCIENTIST? or vice versa?

Hello, maybe 8-10 years ago it was not the most obvious path for an MFE to work in tech but in the last few years it is quite common.
Because if we think one second about it, MFE got all the required skills to work in tech: coding; statistics, numerical analysis, hard problem-solving skills ...
After it depends where do you choose to do your MFE as some schools are more oriented to finance and does not have a curriculum that is adapted to transfer the skills you learn.
But most of the good courses offer a viable environment to pursue a career in tech thereafter (Carnegie Mellon, NYU, Cornell are good examples of that).

Last, it is my own analysis and I don't claim that this is the rule for MFE to go to tech but I really don't see why they could not get in.

Hope it helps.

see this recent article by the director at berkeley mfe:

in recent years, quite a few students from berkeley mfe (and i'm sure this should be true for other top programs) have gone into tech roles at uber, google, fb, lyft and the like

Back