Moving from London to Hong Kong

Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding moving to another city. Essentially, I am a Maths PhD, based in London, and it has been my dream to move to Hong Kong for quite some time now. I'm looking for entry level quant jobs, in FO, model val and the likes. I have only seen two opportunities and I didn't get through to the later stages.

1. Is it possible/easy/difficult for me to find something in Hong Kong?
2. Is it worse being a quant there considering London's size and maturity?
3. Or, would I have no other choice than to look here first and then try to move across?
4. Which banks are best/hedge funds are best, and what is Hong Kong's speciality?
5. What would my career opportunities be like afterwards?

Thank you!

Sorry, one more thing, does anyone know any good recruitment agencies in HK? Thanks!

HK serves the Chinese market and is the only legal gateway to China. Many people wants to do business with China. pingu was right.

Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding moving to another city. Essentially, I am a Maths PhD, based in London, and it has been my dream to move to Hong Kong for quite some time now. I'm looking for entry level quant jobs, in FO, model val and the likes. I have only seen two opportunities and I didn't get through to the later stages.

1. Is it possible/easy/difficult for me to find something in Hong Kong?
2. Is it worse being a quant there considering London's size and maturity?
3. Or, would I have no other choice than to look here first and then try to move across?
4. Which banks are best/hedge funds are best, and what is Hong Kong's speciality?
5. What would my career opportunities be like afterwards?

Thank you!

Mate, I may see you soon ;-) Yes, do it! efinancialcareers is your best friend.

>2. Is it worse being a quant there considering London's size and maturity?

ah, yes, with ~10% tax and no need to work for Chinese gov. ;-), brits community is also quite big - won't be alone, it may be quite good for your career. I think that you will work for US/EU/UK funds/banks in HK.

>5. What would my career opportunities be like afterwards?

Singapore, Tokyo, UK, other company in HK?

Last edited:
HK serves the Chinese market and is the only legal gateway to China. Many people wants to do business with China. pingu was right.

many companies have there trading floors and they work in HK just to continue position management after european and american hours. they may trade on SGX, Bursa Malaysia, ASX or trade ccys anywhere they want.

Back