MSc in Financial Mathematics in UK

• Thread starter Thread starter Gon
  • Start date Start date

Gon

Hello everyone,

Well I know there are similar post on the forum, but none of them really compare different degrees with sufficient level of detail, so hope you guys can help me make my decision.

Bit of background: studied Computing Engineering with high focus on maths, have been working in a top-tier bank in Switzerland for the past 2.5 years as an engineer in the back-office area, and have decided to apply to a master program in Financial Mathematics this year. My motivation is to find a job in Investment Banking where Maths & Computing are essentially part of my daily tasks; the more maths, the better.

I have received a good number of offers so far, but I've narrowed my choices down to Warwick, Manchester and University College of London. After a bit of research, here is what I find best and worst about the three programs:
  1. Manchester (MSc in Mathematical Finance)
    PROs
    : has the heaviest load of maths and covers a couple of topics that similar degrees only slightly explore (eg Brownian Motion), the university is very well positioned in the rankings.
    CONs
    : well, I just don't see people talking about the degree much on the internet, so I don't really know how good/bad it is. The end of term examination for most of the courses is 100% of your grade, which is sort of risky
  2. Warwick (MSc in Financial Mathematics)
    PROs best reputation among employers for this particular degree (or so do people claim on the Internet). I can see normally 50% of you grade comes from weekly assignments, so end of term papers would only have 50% weight, which is safer.
    CONs The tuition fee is just crazy, it has less maths than similar programs, the uni itself never makes it to the top 100 unis in the world (as oppossed to Man and UCL), and the worst thing: lectures only last just until April! I mean I would expect them to end in June the earliest.
  3. UCL (MSc in Financial Mathematics)
    PROs it has the highest reputation among these three unis, and needless to say, it's in London, which is cool.
    CONs from what I can make out after having done a bit of research, their degree just doesn't stand out.
And here comes the question: given that I like maths, I have a strong background in computing (C, C++, Java, algorithms, etc) and the aforementioned professional experience... would I really have a chance of finding a good job in London in Research/Quant Analysis/Trading if I decide to study in Manchester? Should I just go for degree reputation and study in Warwick?.

I really can't make up my mind, I'd say I go for Manchester but for some reason I'm still not 100% convinced. Hope you guys can shed some light into this and help me!

Thanks in advance!

I'd vote for Warwick here -- it's a core school for IBanking in the UK, both for undergrad and grad levels. UCL comes next, but the UCL program is relatively new, and maths and finance are not UCL's strongest.

why not consider the program of Oxford and IC

Oxford's program is very well respected. But I can't say the same for Imperial's. There's nothing really in it and Warwick. And, if this makes sense to you, Warwick's program is even ranked higher. Warwick's downside though it its location which isn't in London. The campus though is splendid.

LBS is another candidate here. But amongst the three given choices, I'd go for Warwick.

Back