COMPARE NYU MathFin vs Cornell MFE

NYU Mathfin vs Cornell MFE

• NYU Mathfin

Votes: 30 63.8%
  • Cornell MFE

Votes: 17 36.2%

• Total voters
Hey guys, I was admitted to NYU MathFin and Cornell MFE, still waiting for Columbia MFE. Does anyone know about those two programs and could you please give some details about the placement? I am trying to make a decision between those two. If I get into the Columbia one, I will probably go to that one. Thanks!

Noticed you chose CMU finally. Any ideas on comparing CMU with NYU Mathfin? Appreciated!!!
Personally I really love the NYU Mathfin program because it offers a range of great pricing/modeling courses taught by prestigious professors from Courant. These courses will be very helpful if you want to work as a pricing quant or in a buyside company. I guess that's also the reason why a number of PhD graduates choose NYU over other MFE programs. I heard that the career service is also good (this is not verified but in their letters they mentioned that 95% students graduating this year have secured a full-time position).
I chose CMU for the following reasons: 1. strong career services, close alumni connection and great placement statistics. I'm targeting for a sell-side quant position for my first job, and CMU places a lot of students in banks. 2. I am an undergrad from CMU and I've already known a lot of students/professors in this program. The resources and connections I built here might make things easier. On the other hand NYU is a new environment to me and I will have to spend time getting myself familiar with it; 3. The curriculum is more applied and practical, which will be helpful for interviews.
It really won't make much difference whether you go to CMU or NYU. They are both great programs and will place you to a great place!

Personally I really love the NYU Mathfin program because it offers a range of great pricing/modeling courses taught by prestigious professors from Courant. These courses will be very helpful if you want to work as a pricing quant or in a buyside company. I guess that's also the reason why a number of PhD graduates choose NYU over other MFE programs. I heard that the career service is also good (this is not verified but in their letters they mentioned that 95% students graduating this year have secured a full-time position).
I chose CMU for the following reasons: 1. strong career services, close alumni connection and great placement statistics. I'm targeting for a sell-side quant position for my first job, and CMU places a lot of students in banks. 2. I am an undergrad from CMU and I've already known a lot of students/professors in this program. The resources and connections I built here might make things easier. On the other hand NYU is a new environment to me and I will have to spend time getting myself familiar with it; 3. The curriculum is more applied and practical, which will be helpful for interviews.
It really won't make much difference whether you go to CMU or NYU. They are both great programs and will place you to a great place!
Thanks a ton for sharing this brilliant perspective! In the case of you being a CMU undergrad, CMU is indeed a better choice for you. Congrats on securing this one-of-the-best program!

Thanks! I talked to someone from NYU Mathfin and she said it's still hard to find a job.

It really depends on personal background and preparation. As a current NYU Mathfin student, I would say that those who have previous quantitative internships and also work hard to prepare their resume and technical questions are the ones that fully utilize the opportunities program gives you. And this goes true for all top tier programs. Half of the class got their internships at the first semester and at this point, only handful of students are still looking.

It really depends on personal background and preparation. As a current NYU Mathfin student, I would say that those who have previous quantitative internships and also work hard to prepare their resume and technical questions are the ones that fully utilize the opportunities program gives you. And this goes true for all top tier programs. Half of the class got their internships at the first semester and at this point, only handful of students are still looking.
Thanks for your info! That's a pretty encouraging statistics for me!

Back