NYU Stern Education Track

Hi! I am currently a Freshman in NYU, will graduate in 2016. Like most Stern students I plan to do a concentration in Finance, however I have a deep-rooted passion for mathematics. So, I went and I talked to the advisor at the Mathematics academy, Courant, and I asked her about the options for pursuing a Major in mathematics.

Here are the options that I have laid out for myself:
Note: Concentration = 4 classes centered around a concept
Major = Full-fledged study on a certain subject
Stern does not function under majors but rather concentrations whereas the other schools in NYU still work under majors/minors
  • Concentration in Finance + Full Major in Mathematics
    • The math major will cover everything from Calculus 1 - 3, Linear Algebra, Probability Theory, Analysis I, Algebra I, ODE, PDE (elective), Further Analysis, Stochastic Processes
    • Concentration in Finance is the basics
      • Corp Finance, Advanced Corp Finance, Debt Instruments, Fixed Incomes Trading, the heavy quantitative courses for the most part
  • Concentration in Finance + Advanced Mathematical Methods Minor + Concentration in another field (Statistics, Economics, OR Information Systems)
    • The minor is a simple set-up of four classes which include, Linear Algebra, Probability Theory, Numerical Analysis, and one of the offered electives which range from ODE, PDE to Stochastic Processes
    • However, I can also take the classes I could not complete in this minor with my other elective space, since I want to take PDE and Stochastic Processes
  • Concentration in Finance + Advanced Mathematical Methods Minor + Computer Science Minor
    • Everything same as above
    • Computer Science Minor
      • More broad than Information Systems
      • Data mining + algorithms etc, applied mathematics
So, for a student who wants to work in the Quants side in a bank, whether it be under Sales & Trading, Asset Management, I-Banking (if it even has a quants side), etc, what would really enhance my appeal as a candidate and set up best for the job. Many times people have told me do what you really want me and the reason I am posting this is because if I could I would do each option but I have to make a decision, so I was looking for some feedback from people in the industry or peers pursuing something similar to this.

Thanks!

You will benefit from having advanced math/programming/stats courses. Try to get an internship as soon as possible during bank rotation/training programs and try different desk to find out the roles that are best fit.
Network, talk to as many Stern alum as possible. Try to shadow people at work.
This is the only way to get a first hand experience to shape your education/career choice.

Back