Online Masters in Statistics or Quantitative Finance

Hey everyone,

I work as a statistician for a financial institution. My previous masters was in information science with statistics as my major. I am planning for a masters in either Statistics or Quantitative Finance. I would prefer to do my masters online. Any recommendation on which university offer the best program?

Thank you for your suggestion AJ! I just came across their coursework and it looks quite interesting. I am leaning towards applying at UW-Seattle and Columbia. Any idea which school is better in terms of job placement, value and exposure to real world problems? Appreciate all your help. Thanks!

What's the online program offered by Columbia?

facts about School of Prof'l Studies (feel free to debate with facts, or contact Columbia to ask for clarification:
Contact | Columbia University School of Professional Studies
Applied Analytics
appliedanalytics@sps.columbia.edu)

1. very low admissions standard means high acceptance rate and low reputation.
2. columbia is notorious for redirecting rejected applicants to lower-tier programs (e.g. MFE to MSOR). Now they're channeling them out to other schools within the university.
3. no access to on-campus career services, or on-campus recruiting events.
4. most if not all courses are taught by adjuncts (practitioners who're moonlighting to teach), not by tenure-track professors.
5. you may not be able to talk to the instructors b/c there may be no office hours at all!
6. no academic advising by tenure-track professors. there may be a program director (administrator) for you, but profs don't care.
7. a great way to waste money.

There's no online MS degree in Quant Finance offered by Columbia proper. The School of Professional Studies offers many different "degrees" and "certificates" but none of them are taught by professors. Ask them. The School of Professional Studies contains NO departments and has NO full-time tenure track professors. Look online. It's not like in an engineering school, you find different departments (e.g. EE, CS, etc) with professors who almost exclusively teach for their respective departments. Ask them. SPS outsources the courses to adjuncts, postdocs, or even graduate students.

so it's stat, not quant finance then. and it's not 100% online, it's hybrid (which could mean that courses you want to take may not be available online).
you should check to see if their finance electives are offered online at all. I know their 4 core courses are videotaped, but none of their math finance courses.

apply to both, get admitted, and let them sell you the programs.
hybrid is weird, it forces you to be on campus for certain courses you want to take in certain semesters.

Are there any Quantitative Finance MOOCs available, which will be mostly free or very low cost to the students?

To follow up on this - is UW truly the only legitimate online option for a quantitative finance MS degree? Does anyone know why Carnegie Mellon chose to close their program?

Back