Oxford MFE work experience advice

• Thread starter Thread starter fimp
  • Start date Start date
Dear all,

I'm currently a fresh graduate from the Philippines with a degree in Economics-Honors and a minor degree in Finance. My goal is to enter Oxford MFE after working for 1 year, and eventually enter into a BB bank or a private equity firm. My long-term goal is to work in a world-class PE firm.

I am seeking advice on where I should work to increase my chances of getting accepted into the Oxford MFE program: I am choosing among a local (Philippine) private equity firm, a local boutique investment bank, and at PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) under its advisory side. Would PwC be the most attractive for the AdCom as it is the only firm that is internationally known?

Any advice would help.

Thank you so much.

Last edited:
While i wish you all the best on your plans, a lot of recruiters in England dont sponsor Tier 2 work permits due to which you maynot be able to secure a job of your choice. Utterly disgusting politics being played out there over immigration. Tier 1 no longer works, so u have to get a sponsorship from recruiters

While i wish you all the best on your plans, a lot of recruiters in England dont sponsor Tier 2 work permits due to which you maynot be able to secure a job of your choice. Utterly disgusting politics being played out there over immigration. Tier 1 no longer works, so u have to get a sponsorship from recruiters

Thank you for your reply. Actually, I wouldn't mind working elsewhere. My question really is the choice of work (Philippine PE firm, Philippine IB boutique, or PricewaterhouseCoopers) in order to increase my chance of getting into the MFE Program.

pwc may be better.
but there are a lot of factors in admission result. oxford cares a lot about gpa and high gmat. from what i see, most successful applicants have extremely high gmat scores.

pwc may be better.
but there are a lot of factors in admission result. oxford cares a lot about gpa and high gmat. from what i see, most successful applicants have extremely high gmat scores.

Oh, so would you generalize it to saying that holding all other factors constant, including GMAT Score and GPA, a company that is internationally known will be more attractive for the AdCom than will a local one?

yes.
unless you can do something great and significant at local companies, big companies always have edge. it is a safer bet.

Back