Oxford MSc in Mathematical and Computational Finance

• Thread starter Thread starter Iulius
  • Start date Start date
Hey, i received an offer for the stated course and i have to decide if i take the offer until the end of march. i would really like to complete a further research degree afterwards. i think i should be able to fund the MSc course but i dont know how to proceed with the funding of a research degree. since i am currently studying in germany, i am not familiar with the usual procedure regarding funding (we dont pay much). before i accept the offer i want to make sure that i am able to do the MSc and a research degree (even if not in Oxford but maybe London). could you give me any advice? how do you usually fund a research degree if you dont have rich parents? is it maybe stupid to accept the offer considering my plans (and my lack of money)?

thank you very much

From what I've read, the MSMCF isn't a research degree, but a taught masters. Did you consider PhDs in the UK? I know at Imperial there is a MRes+PhD programme which seems quite reputable. A DPhil at Oxford (or elsewhere) would allow you to take the MSMCF courses (it's stated on the website), whilst pursuing your research.

If you are an EU student there are competitive scholarships or fellowships that are available to you if you have an outstanding undergraduate degree.

You might want to talk to Oxford directly about your plans and whether it would be likely to proceed to the DPhil after the MSMCF.

yes youre right the MSCMCF isnt a research degree. i wanted to go on with a research degree (or phd) afterwards and i have also seen the MRes + PhD course at imperial which seems quite interesting but at first i would still like to do the MSc.
i have an appointment with the admission and funding office in oxford next week but i wanted to get some independent opinions, too.

i think my undergraduate degree is outstanding in the way that i have actually attended physics, applied and pure mathematics and some courses on economics and i have still very good grades but the admission centre for the MSMCF in oxford told me that their students "hardly ever" get scholarships. i dont know what the situation looks like for research or phd students.

Yes, masters students (especially for a professional degree) rarely get funding. They are one of the money-makers of a university. Having said that there are scholarships like the Clarendon scholarship http://www.ox.ac.uk/clarendon/about/scholarship-value-and-duration which are great for things like DPhils since they cover the length of the programme. You probably need to be top of your university to be competitive to get these. (I know that students from Australia usually have First Class Honors with the University Medal - these are awarded to the top graduating students (may be more than one per year) and many of them get such awards to study at Oxford.

Thank you for your answers. I have got another question about the MRes program at Imperial College. It seems very interesting to me and it actually fits my future plans. What can you tell me about such research master programs? In germany we don't have that, so I don't know what to think about. Is this a serious alternative to the MSc even if you don't want to stay at the university after your PhD?

It is a year of training, little coursework and preparation for the PhD. It is designed to be taken as the first part of the PhD. You can graduate from the MRes without the PhD but you don't end up doing many of the professional courses that you might do in Mathematics of Finance. The course outlines and assessment structures are all on the website.

I have seen the course structure but is it really a good alternative to a MSc? Is it reputable? I want to know how employers compare such degree to the usual MSc.

As I said, it is for the preparation of the PhD. An MRes without a PhD doesn't really make any sense. You should probably go for the MRes only with the intention of completing a PhD afterward.

An MSc is a 'terminal' professional (or academic, sometimes called MA (Master of Arts some places...)) degree. Usually industry is the aim of the MSc. Having said that many return for a PhD after a year or two in industry after an MSc.

2nd round results are out? Did u have an interview? I was reconsidered in the 1st round but haven't heard anything since. Chances are odd but still hoping to get an offer...

from ppl who attended this program, the career prospects from oxford for intel students r slightly brighter than bleak

from ppl who attended this program, the career prospects from oxford for intel students r slightly brighter than bleak

Actually looking at where people went 1 year after the program, most (like 90%) managed to land internships/FT/PhD positions - so its not that bad.

Also, previous work experience >> MSc brand

Back