PhD or MFE ?

• Thread starter Thread starter abe
  • Start date Start date

abe

Hello,

A brief background about myself :
Currently i am a MSc Finance student in the UK. I am a 20 y/o Indonesian, aiming to work as a risk analyst. I don't have any experience in programming yet, but i am learning to use R to write my dissertation.

I was convinced to take a MFE/Financial Mathematics degree at a top uni before, but when i asked one of my lecturer for a reference letter, she advised me that i should take a PhD instead. I know that most job positions prefer a PhD rather than a masters degree, but i'm not confident whether the PhD will be a better choice. The problem is, the Uni where i am studying at right now does not have much reputation within the finance industry, and if i take the PhD route, there will be less networking opportunities which could decrease my opportunity to become a Quant.

With the MFE, the networking opportunities will be greater and the brand name could help as well. I know the chance to get a job here is quite small due to the visa policy, but every bit of chance will help. If I'm unable to find a job here, i will also try to look for opportunities in Singapore (Thanks AEC!).

Could you advise me which option gives the higher chance of getting a job as a Quant?

Back