PhD subject proposed by a bank/ hedge fund

Hello community!

I will be very grateful if someone could share his points of view/experience about the possibility of doing a PhD in quantitative finance, working on a subject proposed by a bank or a hedge fund firm. In other words you work on a subject demanded by a bank.

Other question: Did someone tried to do his full-time PhD at the same time as working i.e. for example working 4 days in the firm as a quant and other 3 days doing PhD research.

Thank you a lot!

Not me personally but i know some guys doing it (4 days at the bank, 1 day at university, 2 days free, this is continental europe). Don't know how they got there, but it's not unusual nowadays at all it seems combining the two.

That would be so ideal...
I'm about done with my MSc, but would do a PhD if I could work in school

in france they have what they call CIFRE contracts under which a company and the state can co-fund a PhD thesis. Basically you work for the company, and your thesis supervisor is affiliated with the university. I think CIFRE students earn more than the typical 1700€/mth you get as a PhD in france, I've seen salaries in the 30k€/yr. By the time you're done with your thesis you have 3 years of experience and you can apply for positions as senior quant etc...

Back