Postponing phone interview

I had a chance to connect with an internal recruiter at a company through a former colleague. I went in thinking we were just having a chat, having never formally applied. However, another member of HR has contacted me about setting up a phone interview. I did not plan on formally applying for another 3 months, since I couldn't start for another 6. I had hoped to have a bit more time to prepare, since I know these interviews can be brutal.

My questions is as follows... Is it extremely bad form to request a delay, stating that I had not planned on formally applying for some time due to my circumstances? Or should I just suck it up and prepare what I can in the next week or two? How much time is reasonable to give between now and proposed dates for the interview?

I had a chance to connect with an internal recruiter at a company through a former colleague. I went in thinking we were just having a chat, having never formally applied. However, another member of HR has contacted me about setting up a phone interview. I did not plan on formally applying for another 3 months, since I couldn't start for another 6. I had hoped to have a bit more time to prepare, since I know these interviews can be brutal.

My questions is as follows... Is it extremely bad form to request a delay, stating that I had not planned on formally applying for some time due to my circumstances? Or should I just suck it up and prepare what I can in the next week or two? How much time is reasonable to give between now and proposed dates for the interview?

I think it depends on how much you already know, if you know next to nothing, two weeks of prep won't do any good. I think if you talk to the guy you originally spoke to and tell him you were talking to him for more of an info interview rather than a formal interview and would like more time to prepare yourself, he should understand, this is contingent on how the guy connected with you. If you feel you have a good report with the guy, he should be okay with that, if not, you may have to suck it up and take the interview.

Back