Predictive Analytics, Quant Trading Research

Hello All,

I am currently a student in Northwestern's Predictive Analytics program. My undergraduate degree is in Finance and my previous experience was as an Investment Analyst and then as a Commodity Trader.

A couple years ago I decided I wanted to pursue more quantitative-type work, so, I started studying mathematics, stats, cs, etc., and completing personal projects and freelance work. I've done some pretty interesting projects, including building a sentiment model to predict SP500 member daily returns. I trained the model on 500k financial articles and achieved pretty decent accuracy.

Currently, I am doing some contract work for a couple (very) small hedge funds: backtesting models, arb trading. Awesome experience, but given how small these firms are, not likely something that will lead to a full-time gig. Additionally, they don't appear to have interest in larger research projects that may not pan out.

So, my question is: Given my interest and experience, does it make sense to pursue Quant Research roles?

If so, I'd love to get involved with a firm designing and implementing interesting predictive trading models, even if that means being at an intern level initially.

I appreciate your feedback.

Getting into pure 'blue sky research' roles which seems like what you want to do might be tough without a PhD or at least an MFE. Have you thought about pursuing further education in statistics / time series analysis / quant finance?

Back