Profile Evaluation and Questions

Hello all,

I am applying to Financial Engineering/Quantitative Finance programs this January, including but not limited to BU, Rutgers MQF/MMF, UIUC, Stevens Institute, Illinois Institute of Technology, USC, UCLA, Claremont, and University of Washington. I am a US citizen.

I took the GRE four months ago and got 161Q 158V and 5.0 AWA without preparing as much as I should have. I am retaking this December and shooting for a 167+Q and 163V. I also took FRM Part I in November and am somewhat confident I passed, but I won't know until January.

I graduated from a probably mediocre non-target school a year ago with a double major in Finance & Mathematics and minor in Computer Science with a 3.70/4.00. I completed coursework in econometrics, real analysis, linear algebra, odes & pdes, Calc I-III as well as completing a graduate level course in applied probability with heavy use of MATLAB. My final project for the course was creating a binomial option pricer and explaining how it relates to the Black-Scholes Equation. Every semester I took roughly 18 credits. I also completed the online C++ for financial engineering course with distinction and am thinking about taking the Python course.

Here's the kicker: I started off at a more reputable target school but left twice due to experiencing severe untreated depression that left me sleeping entire days and unable to concentrate. I got a D and an F in two non-quant courses as a result. My overall GPA was roughly 2.7. I returned home for two years and took classes at a local college, but again received an F in another non-quant course due to my issues not being resolved. After completing intensive therapy and enrolling in the school from which I graduated, I was able to land several internships in financial services, one of which was in the front office of a major US bank. I unfortunately did not receive a return offer, and am now working as a non-financial consultant for a small consulting group outside of NYC.

My questions are, in my application essay should I go into specific details regarding my school history, the issues I faced and how I have overcome them, and what financial services work is considered relevant? I would also like a constructive review of my profile. Thank you.

Back