Profile Evaluation: Engineer interested in finance

Hello All,

As the title says, I am interested in switching over to the finance industry and am looking for ways of re-branding myself. I am being told that an MBA or an MSc related to my interests would be useful so I am here to ask for any thoughts the crowd here may have on my plan.

First my background:
-dual major in mechanical engineering and physics from UBC, Vancouver (GPA 3.5/4.0)
-master's in Aerospace engineering from UofT, Toronto (GPA 4.0/4.0)
-currently working in an engineering consultancy for the last 1.5 years

Other relevant information:
-master's had a huge quantitative focus. My research involved simulating the PDEs governing combustion, so I have some experience with numerical simulations using C++. I wrote a thesis and presented two papers at a conference.
-undergrad studies near the end also focused on computational physics

What I want to do in the finance industry:
-preferably something to do with equity/investment/economic research. I find economics fascinating so I would be interested in anything involving forecasting of macroeconomic indicators in order to guide investments.
-Ideally my target group is the GS Global Investment Research group.

What my current plan is:
-aiming for MPhil in Economics at Oxford, MSc in Finance and Economics or MSc in Econometrics and Mathematical Economics at LSE
-I have also been told an MBA would be equally useful, but realistically I would prefer a more quant focus on my future studies because I enjoy programming and math.
-I am preparing for the GRE at the moment for admissions into the programs I mentioned above.

Any thoughts, criticisms, and/or suggestions would be welcome. Thank you!

Back