Profile Review: What schools should I target given my background and what areas do I need improved?

Education:

I'm graduating from my local state university (NJIT); I majored in Applied Math and minored in CS. My cumulative GPA is 3.6/4.0 but I had to retake 2 lower-level courses to improve my GPA plus I have a couple of Cs in higher level math courses. However I took a lot of coursework to prepare for a degree in quant finance with classes such as Stochastic Processes and Simulation, 1 year of calculus-based probability, and 1 year of numerical analysis.

Test scores:
169 on Verbal, 170 on quant, 5.0 on the writing

Research Experience:
~10 months as part of a sort of REU in computational mathematics; worked as part of a group of 3 students and presented our work at 3 conferences
~6 months as an undergraduate research assistant with the physics department. I analyzed data to understand the impact of space weather events.
~8 months doing experimental, computational, and theoretical work in fluid dynamics as part of a capstone project. Resulted in a couple of poster presentations.

Work experience:
- Software engineering internship during spring 2017 at a startup (unknown company but the work is interesting)

Currently taking a month break to travel in Europe but I expect to apply for full-time positions when I come back.

I can get 3 strong letters of recommendation, plus I speak 2 more languages (Spanish/Portuguese). I'm also strong with programming in Matlab as part of my research work, and C due to my internship. I know I should try and get some prestigious work experience but aside from that, are there any glaring issues with my profile? What schools should I realistically be targeting? I expect to apply for schools next Fall in anticipation for starting my MFE in Fall 2018.

Your profile seems to be a fit for most top colleges. Go for the top US/UK colleges. If you fancy Europe, you can try ETH Zurich and EPFL.
Good luck.

Back