Project ideas for a Computational Finance course

I am teaching a graduate level Computational Finance course. The course is in a Financial Engineering program and covers the basic numerical procedures in pricing and hedging of derivatives: tree-based methods, Monte Carlo methods, and numerical solutions to PDEs.

I want to include a project which gives the students exposure to something they are interested in, and most importantly, something they can put on their resume and talk about in job interviews. I am a mathematician by training and most of my knowledge comes from textbooks. Do you have any good project suggestions?

Some rough ideas are:
-Monte Carlo methods for American options? (the course does not cover any early exercise features)
-Something related to simulation of "jump processes"? (the course does not cover jump processes like Hawkes processes which are used a lot in trading applications)
-Downloading and analyzing high-frequency trading data?
-Something interesting related to risk management?

Last edited:
You could start by basing the course on my numerous books in this area. www.datasim.nl
BTW my PDE book will soon be published.

I have lots of project suggestions. To date, I have been external supervisor for roughly 40 MSc thesis for UK/US universities.

Attachments

Last edited:
Back