Quant Job with Undergraduate Only

• Thread starter Thread starter surajrl
  • Start date Start date
Hi, so I just graduated with a Bachelors of Engineering in Computer and Internet Engineering in the UK (not a top tier uni) with a farily good grade (First Class - 80%).

My initial plan was to do a Masters in Comp Fin / Math Fin / Fin Eng, but I have been rejected from most of the unis I found worth (Oxford, UCL, Kings) so 'veI decided it is better to get relevant work experience. However, my question is whether it is possible to get a job as a quant (developer/analyst/trader) with my degree and one year work experience + summer internship as a software engineer, or if it is a waste of time.

Related to this, when applying to jobs is it preferable to include a cover letter if given the option, and what kind of projects would make me stand out?

Maybe too long question but I am very lost right now. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Definitely not a waste of time.
I'd say shoot for some internships, and in the meantime compete in quant competitions held by firms.
IMC has their Prosperity competition, landing a high ranking in any of these competitions is a sure fire way to get your resume looked at and an eventual interview with the firm.

Although it'll be hard, it definitely won't be impossible!
Goodluck if you're still going for it

Back