Quant jobs in London after MFE programs in US

• Thread starter Thread starter jovens
  • Start date Start date
Right now I have offers from top MFE programs in US and UK (columbia, nyu, oxford, imperial), I am wondering how likely I could land a quant job in London after US programs, or should I go straight to choose the program in UK? I prefer US programs because their strong career services and higher placement rate, but what I am concerned is that there is no OPT for me after studying in the U.S, as I have a PhD degree already. If choosing programs here, I can at best land an internship and probably the return offer at some banks, but can I choose to work in their oversea offices? As to programs in UK, how do I choose between oxford and imperial, can I compete for quant jobs there with a PhD degree in U.S.
Many thanks.

As to programs in UK, how do I choose between oxford and imperial, can I compete for quant jobs there with a PhD degree in U.S.

Shouldn't be a problem, particularly with a Ph.D. from a known school (MIT, Princeton, Stanford, CalTech, etc.). Do you hold a British/EU passport? In my opinion the best US programs are stronger than the best British programs. Ceteris paribus (i.e., ignoring the differences in fees, visa situation, and job markets), I would plump for the U.S. programs.

MFE would be redundant if he/she already has a PhD from those schools. British schools are notorious for poor career services, just a service industry with no skin in the game. US is a tightly protected labour market with local graduates having an edge whereas in London you will have to compete with the Ecole Polytechniques, ETHZ as well...gets more darwinian.

Shouldn't be a problem, particularly with a Ph.D. from a known school (MIT, Princeton, Stanford, CalTech, etc.). Do you hold a British/EU passport? In my opinion the best US programs are stronger than the best British programs. Ceteris paribus (i.e., ignoring the differences in fees, visa situation, and job markets), I would plump for the U.S. programs.

I don't have even EU passport, that what I am concerned as UK is conservative. I am not sure if a degree from either oxford or imperial, plus a Phd from a top 50 US school, would give me a better chance to land a job there.

Imperial RMFE has 100% placement rate within 3 months according to their website. That means that their career service rocks.
Thanks. But I refer to the math in finance under their math department, I think it is more quant and practical.

Back