Quant Program Preparation - Probability

I will be starting a quant program this fall and I was wondering what is the best way to build a strong foundation in probability. I have studied basic probability including topics like Bayes Theorem and Normal Distribution but other than that, I have no background in Probability.

I am looking at courses on Coursera, free resources on YouTube, or in the form of books.

The Ross textbook, First Course in Probability, is a great resource imo. Depending on what program you're joining, that may or may not be enough

I will be starting a quant program this fall and I was wondering what is the best way to build a strong foundation in probability. I have studied basic probability including topics like Bayes Theorem and Normal Distribution but other than that, I have no background in Probability.

I am looking at courses on Coursera, free resources on YouTube, or in the form of books.
A First Course in Probability by Sheldon Ross. It goes over everything you need to know including continuous and discrete distributions, how to derive their means and variances with calculus and/or algebra, how to compute probabilities with combinatorics, Moment Generating Functions, Central Limit Theorem, etc. Sheldon Ross is an excellent textbook author and the course lays a wonderful foundation for Stochastic Calculus and advanced probabilistic modeling. Taking a class that uses a textbook like this would satisfy the probability requirement for any quant masters program.

Back