Quants in Canada

• Thread starter Thread starter Tom Sun
  • Start date Start date
I was wondering if there are any quants working in Canada. I was talking to a friend who's a Financial Analyst at a hedge fund and he mentioned that there are no quant shops in Canada. If you're a quant in Canada, what kind of firm are you working for and what kind of work do you do?

Depends on what you mean by "quant" I suppose. There are buy-side shops that engage in various levels of quant/systematic investing, for sure, but I think the hedge fund industry in Canada is much less developed than in some other places. I know the very large pension funds have significant investment operations in-house and hire large amounts of people from technical backgrounds for risk & portfolio management, but whether they are quant or not is a matter of perspective.

Can anybody who has worked at Canadian Pension Funds, Asset Management, and/or Banks as a portfolio risk/market risk analyst share their experience?

Outdated but I work for Connor Clark and Lunn as a quant and we manage over $30B AUM in quantitative strategies. There are certainly bigger shops but it's not too small.

Back