Question about letters of recommendation

Hello everyone,
I've been away from this discussion board for a while. I like the new look and changes made to this board...great job!

OK, about my question...I have been out of school for over 8 years. It seems rather unrealistic for me to contact my former undergrad professors for letters of recommendation after such a long time. This is probably a common dilemma for working professionals who are looking to get into grad school.

My plan is to apply to Baruch's MFE program sometime in the undetermined future (likely 1~2 years from now). In the meantime, I will be preparing for the application process, which would include re-taking some pre-requisite math and comp sci courses. But if were to take a course in Spring 08 and have the professor write a letter of rec, will the admissions committee at Baruch accept that letter and keep in on file even though I haven't applied yet and won't be until maybe a year or more further down the line? Or is it more advisable for me to use a document storage service such as Interfolio to store my letters and other credentials until I actually apply and need to send them to Baruch?

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts or recommendations. Thank you.

frankly, i don't think it matters much. although i do see one potential problem with your approach.
i don't know about everybody else, but i used electronic services to submit my lor's. i think my recommenders were sent a link to a page, where they typed in their recommendation.
this would be hard to do in advance. so i would talk to your prospective recommenders and tell them that you might be approaching them at some point about the letter of recommendation.

although again, i am not 100% sure that you have to apply electronically.

We would not keep that letter on file unless you also apply. You can always reactivate your application at a later time, without paying the application fee again.

Back