Question about Letters of Recommendations

It's been about five years since I completed undergrad. I don't know if any of my professors still remember me. I was wondering when people apply to graduate programs, do they only ask professors who knew them well personally, or would any professor for a course they did well in, write a letter of recommendation? Is five years too long to ask for a professor to write a letter? If I write an email to a professor and ask them to write a letter for me, would they think I'm crazy?

They wouldn't think you are crazy but they wouldn't write a very glowing recommendation, either. If you have been working after school, ask your manager to write one for you. You would still need at least one from academic person in either case so most people would plan a year in advance and get in touch with their professors and drop hints about going back to school.
Just dropping an email out of the blue asking for a favor wouldn't always work.

I agree with Andy here. It might help if you could get a recommentation from one of your mathematics professors. When I was in a similar situation, I called one of the professors up, explained to him what I'm doing and what I wanted to do, provided my mathematics grades and my resume (I inculded a photograph too). He was impressed and agreed to give my one right away.

Dropping an email would serve you less if not nothing.

I am facing the same issue..It has been over 6 yrs since i completed undergrad..I have very good scores in maths (engg 1st & 2nd yr) but not sure if the staff will remember me and agree to recommend. Even if she does, I am not sure if the recommendation will be of much value as so many years have passed.

I have another option to approach the professor who taught game theory during my Masters (not sure if he will agree but i can try) but it has been more than three years since i completed my masters (all other subjects were finance oriented). Please suggest...

I have another option to approach the professor who taught game theory during my Masters (not sure if he will agree but i can try) but it has been more than three years since i completed my masters (all other subjects were finance oriented). Please suggest...

If you spent time interacting with him outside of class, I'd say it's worth it. It will at least inform your approach, e.g. gently remind him about the discussions you had with him about topic X. Most people don't interact as much with their professors as they should. If you can evoke in him/her a vague recollection and s/he is a decent person, you will get a reasonably good recommendation.

Back