Request Advice - Georgia Tech - QCF Vs Yale - MS-CS

• Thread starter Thread starter MuraliS
  • Start date Start date
Hi All,
I have got admission at Georgia Tech - QCF . Earlier I also had an offer of admission from UPenn for their MSE in Scientific computing program and after evaluating I had almost come to a decision in favor of Georgia Tech QCF.

However recently I have received admission offer from Yale University MS- Computer Science beginning Fall 2015. While Yale CS program (as per US News) is in the top 20 (15 in Theory) it is not in the top 10. However Yale being a prestigious school, I really am in a dilemma! Yale CS program is very small and they take only 15-18 students (MS&PhD) every year. I am also given to understand that apart from Tech companies, Hedge Funds and Investment Banking firms are big recruiters at Yale CS program.

Your views and inputs would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

My background : BS - Electrical and Computer Engineering from University of Texas at Arlington graduating in May 2015. I have done two summer internships and both were in Software Development. Have completed a Certificate in Applied Business at University of Colorado Boulder and the Summer School Program at London School of Economics on "Options, Futures and Financial Derivatives".

Arvind

what do you want to do? work in industry or do research, teach students etc...? or both?

what do you want to do? work in industry or do research, teach students etc...? or both?
My preference is to work in the industry at the moment but am looking at research program at a later stage. However am sure that I don't want to be in the academia full time even if I complete a PhD at a later stage!

My preference is to work in the industry at the moment but am looking at research program at a later stage. However am sure that I don't want to be in the academia full time even if I complete a PhD at a later stage!
what's your short term plan?
what will you do if you get a Msc in Computer science from Yale? go to work? or continue on to a PhD degree?

Back