Second Master's as a Quant? Why and What

• Thread starter Thread starter VIVIH
  • Start date Start date
Started this topic to gather advice for my next step as well as to share thoughts/experience.

I finished Master of Math Finance at UToronto and have been a quant researcher (strat and data) for almost a year (undergrad in Stats). As I am seeking the best quant funds to learn and grow, feeling Canada is really not the place I should stay (small markets and not proactive), US/HK instead. Then I am thinking of applying another Master's in US (only way to get a job there and I won't do phD). As for HK, funds prefer experienced ones far as I know.

Then it comes to what school/major to apply for. Another MFE is not the thing, as it will be a waste of everything (though they do have good career services). Then what should be a legit program to learn new stuff AND to target quant funds? Data Science is the only option I have now (happy to know if you have recommend on that also).

Wondering if there are buddies who have gone through/are in similar situations. Welcome to share any idea. Thanks in advance!

Started this topic to gather advice for my next step as well as to share thoughts/experience.

I finished Master of Math Finance at UToronto and have been a quant researcher (strat and data) for almost a year (undergrad in Stats). As I am seeking the best quant funds to learn and grow, feeling Canada is really not the place I should stay (small markets and not proactive), US/HK instead. Then I am thinking of applying another Master's in US (only way to get a job there and I won't do phD). As for HK, funds prefer experienced ones far as I know.

Then it comes to what school/major to apply for. Another MFE is not the thing, as it will be a waste of everything (though they do have good career services). Then what should be a legit program to learn new stuff AND to target quant funds? Data Science is the only option I have now (happy to know if you have recommend on that also).

Wondering if there are buddies who have gone through/are in similar situations. Welcome to share any idea. Thanks in advance!
Maybe a MS in machine learning? Why not just try to move internally to a USA office?

Maybe a MS in machine learning? Why not just try to move internally to a USA office?
Yeah ML would be a concentration of Data Science.
I can only think of CPP (a pension fund) having a NY office and internal transfer is merely heard of.

I would consider a CS master degree just to widen my career opportunities. You can try quant developer or just developer if you really like programming

I would consider a CS master degree just to widen my career opportunities. You can try quant developer or just developer if you really like programming
True. I realize my cs shortage now and then compared to a dev. Any CS programs you recommend? Would they consider students without heavy-cs background? (I know very well of scripting/stats, but not programming/infra).

p.s. I would say I don't 'really' like programming lol, just that a quant had better to be well-rounded and CS is so fundamental.

omscs is a joke. watered down curriculum. the depth is totally not there.
Won't do online since I need working visa afterwards.
Doing online is only to get a 'certificate', not real stuff, even for UCB data science online program imo.

True. I realize my cs shortage now and then compared to a dev. Any CS programs you recommend? Would they consider students without heavy-cs background? (I know very well of scripting/stats, but not programming/infra).

p.s. I would say I don't 'really' like programming lol, just that a quant had better to be well-rounded and CS is so fundamental.

I don't really have good recommendation, but I do see when the firms hire a QR or quant developer, they are looking for solid programming skills. At the same time, you will have other career options to choose from if you graduate from a CS master in the US.

omscs is a joke. watered down curriculum. the depth is totally not there.
Hi, as I am seriously considering signing up for this program, could you point to any sources that support your statement that the curriculum is watered down?

I don't really have good recommendation, but I do see when the firms hire a QR or quant developer, they are looking for solid programming skills. At the same time, you will have other career options to choose from if you graduate from a CS master in the US.

yup, they screen you with hackerrank nowadays. i keep getting fucked by this, having focused on pen and paper probability brainteasers exclusively for a while

Back