Should I accept my failure or wait for next year?

Hi everyone!

I study financial engineering in China and want to apply for mfe programs abroad. But so far my application hasn't gone well because 1) I spent too little time on it and 2) I know too little of what I want to do with my career.

Yes, I want a brilliant job and study hard on mathematics, finance, economics and every courses mandated by the university. But no, I never bother planning my education and career. And that's why I can't articualte my career goal everytime I have to write a personal statement for any particular program.

Now I receive an offer to study mathematical finance made by the University of Manchester, while some of my classmates are admitted to mfe programs offered by better institutes like University of Chicago, Imperial College, University of Illinoirs, etc. I'm quite upset with myself because I know I would also stand a chance if I have applied for these programs.

So basically, my application and career path is a failure. I'm at a loss. But I want to get back on the right track, starting by asking for help from you guys. Should I accept the offer made by the University of Manchester OR wait and prepare for next year's application? If I go to manchester, will that put me in a disadvantaged position for future career since the program enroll students come from less competitive institutes?

But no, I never bother planning my education and career. And that's why I can't articualte my career goal everytime I have to write a personal statement for any particular program.
That's an immediate problem that you need to deal with first before you decide whether to study this year. You can spend 2 years and large amount of money to get a degree. Then what?

Which failure? As far as I am concerned you were admited to an University, wasn´t you?

I find it interesting how people think and try to put it as if you are out of the market unless you graduate from a top program or Ivy league U.

If you go do your research you will certainly find out that the finance industry is not made up only by people who graduated from the programs people love to brag about.

Excuse me, but it is not the school that make the student. It does not matter which school you go to if: you dont have the necessary skills; you dont put in the necessary work; etc.

I know... being in a top program put you in an alumni network, blablabla. ofcourse there is an edge of going to such schools otherwise we would all be the same, look the same, think the same, act the same. it would not be a matter of where to go, but when, how, whatever.

It is hard to think it this way, but the sole truth is: in the end, it is all up to you!

Spend some time over the point Andy made above, and try to find what suits you best, choosing between schools will take you nowhere if you don´t know where you want to go in the first place.

Good luck.

Which failure? As far as I am concerned you were admited to an University, wasn´t you?

I find it interesting how people think and try to put it as if you are out of the market unless you graduate from a top program or Ivy league U.

If you go do your research you will certainly find out that the finance industry is not made up only by people who graduated from the programs people love to brag about.

Excuse me, but it is not the school that make the student. It does not matter which school you go to if: you dont have the necessary skills; you dont put in the necessary work; etc.

I know... being in a top program put you in an alumni network, blablabla. ofcourse there is an edge of going to such schools otherwise we would all be the same, look the same, think the same, act the same. it would not be a matter of where to go, but when, how, whatever.

It is hard to think it this way, but the sole truth is: in the end, it is all up to you!

Spend some time over the point Andy made above, and try to find what suits you best, choosing between schools will take you nowhere if you don´t know where you want to go in the first place.

Good luck.

But it is true if you graduate from top schools, you'll have better chance of passing resume screening. And especially when market's tough, you pretty much have no chance if you aren't from those schools (if you're an international)

That's an immediate problem that you need to deal with first before you decide whether to study this year. You can spend 2 years and large amount of money to get a degree. Then what?

Yes, Andy, you're right. So is Marcos. I think I know what to do now. Thank you!

Back