Simons drops management fees for 2009

Simons Said to Waive Fees for Renaissance Fund - DealBook Blog - NYTimes.com

Response:

Ugh. So he doesn't lose *too* much money (I believe he was down 16% in that fund...which seems to be less than a year's worth of returns for him), and then more or less makes the rest of the hedge fund managers that are throwing up the gates look like complete imbeciles?

It seems that Simons is a true, real life Magnificent Bastard. Magnificent Bastard - Television Tropes & Idioms

This is, of course, why it would be a dream to work for him, but it seems that it is more or less impossible to enter Renaissance if you've been struck by the ambition to become a quant before you've become some leading professor.

Edit: I just read the full WSJ article on James Simons and now it hits me: he has the same effect on the hedge fund world as Lloyd Blankfein does on mainstream Wall Street.

Indeed, the Magnificent Bastard title is quite fitting of this man. With this move, he'll probably put at least one more hedge fund that would have survived otherwise completely out of business. Wow. So he puts funds out of business by doing what only someone that's been having a ridiculous year can do, and implicitly knifes a bunch of hedge funds in turn.

Wow. Just wow.

Back