Software Advice for Undergraduate Quant Club

• Thread starter Thread starter odruz
  • Start date Start date
Hello, I’m a sophomore on a team starting a project-based quant club for people that want to get into dev and trading at my University in the US. We’re still building the framework for how we’re going to organize each project team, but I need a bit of advice for what engines we should use for backtesting our code.

I’ve heard good things about Quant connect and the open source lean engine, but I’m wondering if there’s another industry standard or alternative that those of you with professional experience would recommend.

As far as what we actually intend to implement, each team covers completely different topics on all parts of the quant spectrum, so if there is a different industry standard for different types of firms, we would like to try to follow that within the teams as well.

We have not yet acquired corporate sponsorships to help fund these projects, so we can’t yet pay for expensive services in the Fall, but we are working on getting some before the winter semester, so we’re still open to using paid services if it would be beneficial.

For a bit of extra background here, about 90% of my school’s CS classes are taught in C++, so anything that lets us work with C style languages would be preferable, but most club members are familiar with a few other languages because we’re mostly made up of over-ambitious CS majors.

Let me know if there’s any advice you have regarding software, or general club content and organization so that we can make this the best an experience possible for our aspiring devs and traders!

Back