Statement of Purpose -- Do's and Don'ts

Beginning my Statement of Purpose for MFE admission in Fall 2023. I am planning to apply to as many schools as I can listed on the QuantNet Ranking List. Top programs on my list are Cornell, Columbia, UChicago, NC State. I think I want to go into model validation because that is something I was exposed to in my internship.

I'd like to say I have a pretty strong profile. Top US institution in Applied Math/Stat and Economics, 3.95 GPA. Sitting for GRE soon, and a quant related internship. Good rec letters coming from two professors and my internship supervisor.

I jotted down a bunch of bullet points that I want to hit in my SOP -- what got me interested in quant finance in first place, coursework I have taken, Teaching Assistant role, internship stuff, why so and so college, etc. The whole thing is is writing that first sentence.
I am not great at writing and want to get straight to the point and not have the admission reader get bored/ think I am cliche.

If anyone would be able to tell me the Do's and Don'ts of writing a Statement of Purpose (general format) that would be great! Thanks in advance.

Back