COMPARE Statistics in Columbia VS. Mathematical finance in USC

I get an offer of mathematical finance from USC and an offer of statistics from Columbia. I am hesitating between the two. I just know that it is very hard to find a job after you graduate from USC. So I prefer Columbia. But I actually do not like statistics and am really interested in financial engineering. I got AN email from director that it is possible for me to transfer from statistics to mathematical finance as soon as I get admission from director of statistics and director of mathematical finance. But I wonder if there is any successful case before. If so, what does the process work (ie.high GPA or networking ?). And when to apply?(I do not want to miss classes.)

Thank you very much!!!

I know Columbia MAFN usually refers unsuccesful applicants to its program to the Stats program under the same dept. From my experience, transfer between master programs is very rare, specially into a more popular program.
In most case, you will have to reapply to the target program as a new applicant. There is no transfer.

In the best case, you would spend one extra year in Stats program, apply and get accepted to the MAFN program. Worst case, you hate yourself in the Stats program.
What is so bad about statistics? Do you believe you will have a better career services and job prospect from MAFN program?

I know Columbia MAFN usually refers unsuccesful applicants to its program to the Stats program under the same dept. From my experience, transfer between master programs is very rare, specially into a more popular program.
In most case, you will have to reapply to the target program as a new applicant. There is no transfer.

In the best case, you would spend one extra year in Stats program, apply and get accepted to the MAFN program. Worst case, you hate yourself in the Stats program.
What is so bad about statistics? Do you believe you will have a better career services and job prospect from MAFN program?
If I spend one year in statistics program, does it mean that I have to waste one year to be accepted by MAFN ? I wonder if I take three elective classes which could be accounted into MAFN in the first semester and get good grades on them. Then transfer after the first semester?

Back