COMPARE Stevens Institute of Technology or Claremont Graduate University

Hi guys, so I got admitted to the MFE at Stevens Institute of Technology and Claremont graduate university.? I don't know which one is better. How do you guys think? I appreciate advice, Thank you,

Hey, Sang. I got into Stevens as well. If you decided to go to Stevens, I would like to connect. Plus, there is no price to talk to program advisors assigned to us.

Not sure if it is too late. I was in the same situation with you and I talked to a few people from both programs.
What every one said first thing was LOCATION. They said if you want to get a job in the financial industry then do not hesitate just go for Stevens. There are for sure tons more job opportunities in NYC than in LA (if any). However, I asked a couple of Stevens grads but they said it really depends on yourself, in terms of job hunting. The employment outcome wasn't so great these few years. But one other thing about CGU is that Ken Abbott (Barclay's Chief Risk Officer) now serves as a faculty member at CGU, and he does take students from CGU. What I heard is if you connect well with him, at least you get a chance for interview.
If you want to keep going in the academic track, then CGU might be a better choice. One current student at CGU whom I've talked with said he was preparing himself for a Ph.D program after MSFE. He suggested that CGU has a very academic atmosphere and is great for academic work.
Some other things you might want to consider are expenses and class size. NYC is a lot more expensive than LA, however, if you live in LA but want to go to NYC for job fair or other stuff then transportation is expensive and inconvinient. Stevens has about 100 (or more?) students per class, CGU only has like ~30.
Personally, I prefer CGU over Stevens a lot lot lot. I like its tightness as a small school, I like the weather in LA, and I love the opportunity to pursue a Math Degree at the same time. However, Stevens does have the absolute advantage of job seeking, due to its location (20 min to Manhattan). So I guess it is up to your choice and which factors you prioritize in this case.
The above is all I know about these two programs. I hope this helps and please do let me know if I made any mistakes.

But one other thing about CGU is that Ken Abbott (Barclay's Chief Risk Officer) now serves as a faculty member at CGU, and he does take students from CGU. What I heard is if you connect well with him, at least you get a chance for interview.
A couple of things:
  1. I'm CRO for the Americas at Barclays - that's plenty.
  2. I guess you could describe it as "connecting", but it's simpler than that. If someone :
  • does well in my class (generally a B+ or better)
  • participates (so I get to know them)
  • seems like a fit for an open spot
I will try to get them an interview.

A couple of things:
  1. I'm CRO for the Americas at Barclays - that's plenty.
  2. I guess you could describe it as "connecting", but it's simpler than that. If someone :
  • does well in my class (generally a B+ or better)
  • participates (so I get to know them)
  • seems like a fit for an open spot
I will try to get them an interview.

OMG KEN ABBOTT REPLIED TO MY POST.
I'm so excited! Thank you for replying and making this clear! I feel much more confident now.

Dear Mr. Abbott,
May I ask for your opinion between these two great programs? What are some advantages and special qualities that CGU MSFE has over Stevens MFE? And what do you like the most about CGU?
Thank you again for your time!

Ttac

OMG KEN ABBOTT REPLIED TO MY POST.
I'm so excited! Thank you for replying and making this clear! I feel much more confident now.

Dear Mr. Abbott,
May I ask for your opinion between these two great programs? What are some advantages and special qualities that CGU MSFE has over Stevens MFE? And what do you like the most about CGU?
Thank you again for your time!

Ttac
The best of my CGU students are as good as anyone I've seen. I have not met anyone form the Stevens program. It has a great reputation as an engineering school, but my only direct experience there has been as a sub musician in their music department on clarinet.

Back