Switching from a bank to a regulator, or back

I am finishing my PhD in Applied Math soon, working on some theoretical applications to risk measures defaults in banking networks, and I also hold a degree in Financial Engineering. I want to stay in Europe for a while, and consider working either for a regulator (such as European Central Bank) or for some investment institution such as bank/hedge fund/market maker as a quant. At the moment I am not sure in which of these two areas I would like to settle in a long-term, so I wondered if I start working as a quant in an investment bank, would it be possible to switch to a regulator thereafter (or vice-versa).

On the one hand, it seems logical that regulator would appreciate an experience obtained in the bank (that is to be regulated), but on the other hand I'm not sure I can judge it correctly. Not that I'm willing to try both opportunities anyways, rather I'm trying to estimate aftermaths of my choice where to start working. As far as I understand, working as a quant requires to be fast and precise (and is paid accordingly), whereas working for a regulator allows perhaps to deal with more fundamental tasks and not as stressful (and is also paid accordingly) - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I appreciate any hint on the topic.

Back