switching from engineering to finance.. question

Hi everyone

I am new to this forum. I have found great info- thanks

I have been working for BAE systems for the last 1.5 years. Ive had great roles and my job entails heavy mathematics and programming. I have a BA in mechanical engineering and mathematics and a MA in Applied Math. However, I would like to make the transfer to finance.

I know most finance companies want a PhD in math or MFE/MBA. I was admitted to NYU's MFE program but decided to work first. I would rather not go back if I don't have to.. takes time and $$$$.

Do you think I can break through into finance with just my MA in math? I don't have too many connections in finance here so my primary reason of going back for my MFE is because it opens doors. I don't have much interest in working NYC finance-- I'd rather stay in Boston finance here or San Fran which is also less competitive.

What does everyone think?

I would rather not go back if I don't have to.. takes time and $$$$.
It would be great if none of us has to spend time and money to get something. Besides the obvious placement benefit of going to a program, don't forget that you will learn knowledge there as well.

I don't have much interest in working NYC finance-- I'd rather stay in Boston finance here or San Fran which is also less competitive.
Wouldn't going to a program in those locations make much more sense?
There are programs in Boston, Cali whose graduates end up working locally.

Back